Bitcoin Recover Services
Bitcoin is the first digital-only money that allows for true self custody due to public and private key cryptography and the distributed record-keeping available through the use of a blockchain. Once you move into self custody, you eliminate all third-party risk, but you now have the sole responsibility for your funds. If you do not take good care of your bitcoin and practice secure and private bitcoin security, you do run the risk of losing your bitcoin.
If you’re keeping a negligible amount of money in bitcoin, you may not consider this a problem, but those who are holding large sums of their net worth or even those who may hold a stake that could be worth a lot in the future should spare no expense in securing their funds.
Bitcoin is lost every year due to poor security practices making the asset even more scarce and making the circulating supply of bitcoin even more valuable.
Many people in the past have taken a nonchalant attitude toward bitcoin management and have paid the price for their lackadaisical attitude. When you take hold of your bitcoin, you are the bank; there are no do-overs, there are no resets, and there are no bailouts.
Mistakes with bitcoin can be costly.
If you have lost your old bitcoin storage device, the computer you held your wallet on crashed, you lost a part of the private key, then most times, you’re out of luck, however, in some cases there is still a trace of evidence that could help you salvage the situation.
Considering how valuable bitcoin has become it’s no wonder recovery services have started to spring up as it becomes worthwhile for bitcoiners to pay service providers to try and recover their funds.
Bitcoin recovery engineers may specialise in a certain type of recovery procedure, while others may offer a more generic service. Recovery services tend to apply to some of the following scenarios.
- Forgotten passwords – If you forget a wallet or BIP38, password recovery engineers can help.
- Deleted wallets – Accidental deletion is one of the most common data loss scenarios.
- Hardware failure – This could be hardware wallet, failed hard drives, RAID arrays, solid-state drives, and other devices that have been physically damaged or perhaps internal damage.
- Wallet corruption – Data corruption occurs due to software or hardware error, and it can prevent bitcoin owners from accessing their coins — even with a correct password.
- Upgrading older wallets – Some bitcoin holders may feel uncomfortable upgrading older wallets (for instance, upgrading to Bitcoin Core 0.7+). Recovery services can provide safe, secure upgrades and migrate your funds to an up-to-date wallet while maintaining your privacy.
Bitcoin recovery engineers are experts in their fields, but they are not miracle workers; there is a margin of error and a window of recovery that they can operate in, and if you don’t act fast or give them enough leads, you’re going to have a bad time trying to recover anything.
I am sorry to be the one to tell you this; if you think you’re going to rock up at a service provider with nothing for them to go on but hearsay and assumptions, you’re not only wasting their time, but you’re going to be wasting your money too.
Depending on your scenario, you may need to provide one or a few of the following:
- A partial private key
- X-pubs and public keys
- Multi-sig keys you have available
- Digital wallet device
- The partially damaged seed storage device
- Your computer or mobile phone
- Access to your cloud storage
- Passwords and 2FA access
Note: This is sensitive information, so please take care when working with a service provider.
Bitcoin recovery services are not a guaranteed return of funds; there is a reason the network is the most secure in the world, so these engineers have a difficult task, depending on the scenario and the data you can offer them. If a wallet is recovered, remember that these engineers now have access to your compromised private keys, so once you’ve received your funds, it’s important to secure those funds in a new wallet with a brand new private key.
Beware of scammers
Remember, people who find themselves in these situations are desperate and vulnerable and can easily be exploited, which is a situation primed for scammers. You could recover your funds, or you could find yourself deeper in a hole, paying fees for failed services or, worse false promises.
Share with a friend
If you thought this information was helpful why not share it on your favourite social media network and encourage others to learn more about Bitcoin